Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Creepy Karen

So I work in what is known as a cube farm. Rows upon rows of cubes. Whenever the ladies aren't on calls, they pop their heads up and talk to eachother. So, when I leave my cube for whatever reason, I have about 20 women watching me leave. It's uber creepy. Speaking of creepy...

I had the strangest call today. It goes something like this:

Shanghai: Thank you for calling [insert company name here]. My name is Shanghai and I'll be your blah blah blah.

Karen: Julie? Oh I have a friend named Julie. You sound like her. Are you blonde haired with blue eyes?

Shanghai: (confused as hell since I didn't say Julie... although I don't take the time to correct her since I understand that Shanghai is a difficult name to get. Plus I don't really care) Nope. I'm brunette with un-blue eyes. So it must be a different Julie. (Since we spell and pronounce our names differently. hahaha)

Karen: Oh. Ok Julie. Well I burnt my arm today on the stove. My skin stuck to it. Do you have anything for that, Julie?

Me: um... see... we're a cosmetics company. You probably need something else for that... like medical attention from a doctor. I'm not a doctor.

K: Oh. I see... have you ever been burnt that bad, Julie?

Me: Oh sure. I used to work in a bakery. I've still got scars on my arms.

K: You didn't wear any protection when you were by the ovens, Julie?

Me: no. I wasn't supposed to be over there probably.

K: Do you normally wear protection, Julie?

Me: Oh absolutely. Always. I don't want to get burned anymore.

K: So you wear a nice long oven mitt, Julie?

Me: Um... (getting uncomfortable) yea. I guess. It's a normal size mitt I suppose.

K: Oh. Well I could get you a real nice long one if you wanted, Julie. Would you like that, Julie?

Me: Well, how about we talk about some makeup here instead? (This is when I notice that Karen doesn't actually sound like a "she" so much as a "he" talking very softly.)(rush through the rest of the call so I don't have to talk to Scary McCreeps-a-lot anymore.)

WTF? I'm not even joking. She/he really said my name that many times and really asked me that. Am I overreacting here or was that strangely sexual? and kind of dirty? Sigh. My mom says she was probably just a lonely old woman looking for someone nice to talk to. I think she was really a he who got off on hearing about other people's injuries and oven mitts. That's what I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home